In May 2017, the Tobacco & Related Products Regulations (TRPR) came into force in the UK. The TRPR brought the European TPD (Tobacco Products Directive) regulations into UK law, and changed some of the rules around vaping products. Here are some of the main points:
- E-liquid bottles can be no larger than 10ml (for nicotine-containing liquid)
- Tanks, pods and cartridges can be no larger than 2ml
- The maximum nicotine strength is 20mg/ml (2% nicotine)
- E-cigarettes and products containing nicotine must show health warnings on the packaging
- Nicotine-containing products must have childproof, tamper-evident packaging
- Certain ingredients are banned in nicotine-containing e-liquids and refills, including vitamins, caffeine, taurine, diacetyl, 2,3-pentanedione, diethylene glycol and additives that have carcinogenic, mutagenic or reprotoxic properties in unburnt form. The full list can be found at gov.uk.
- All e-cigarettes and e-liquids must be notified to the Medicines & Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) before they can be sold.
Submit a ticket